What to do when you lose your pet or find someone else’s pet:
1. Travel to your local animal shelter often if you lost a pet. Do more than call them, go to the shelter and take a look around yourself. A lot of animals go through animal control each day. By law, if you find a pet they must also go to the county facility of the county that they were found in to give the owners a chance to find their pet.
Dekalb County Animal Services
845 Camp Rd. Decatur, GA 30032
2. Post flyers in your neighborhood and surrounding area. Always include a picture and be sure to keep certain details to yourself so that the owner can verify them with you and confirm they know the pet when they call. You can also ask for pictures or vet records! This is the most successful way to reunite pets with people.
3. Post the pet as lost or found online at these popular sites:
www.lostdogsgeorgia.org (there is also a cat component)
4. For a list of animal shelters in Georgia, check out the No Kill Network.
6. Post on Neighborhood Forums like Nextdoor.com