We're thrilled that you want to join our team! If you're a passionate & dedicated individual that loves dogs and cats, PAWS Atlanta may be the place for you! Please note, we are a small team, so a positive, "help each other" work ethic is a must. PAWS Atlanta offers equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to an individual’s race, color, creed, sex or age.
Scope of Position: To perform and oversee all veterinary services for shelter pets at PAWS Atlanta
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with other Directors, Managers and Staff.
- Diagnose and treat medical conditions in all PAWS animals. Follow progress of all patients placed on treatment, keeping records of all treatments and final outcomes in coordination with other Managers, Directors and Staff.
- Direct, conduct and evaluate treatment plans, disease control measures, and hands-on medical treatment and progress of animals housed at the shelter including but not limited to:
- Vaccination protocols
- Nutrition and feeding protocols
- Parasite control measures
- Housing and sanitation
- Treatment protocols for routine infectious diseases
- Preventative medicine procedures
- Emergency evaluation, treatment and procedures
- Pre-adoption exams
- Create, implement and measure compliance with procedures and protocols to ensure
- continued health.
- Develop, conduct and monitor medical program protocols and procedures.
- Direct and conduct spay / neuter, vaccination and dental program. Supervise all aspects of the procedures including anesthesia and post-operative care of the patient.
- Oversee the scheduling of outside veterinary resources for procedures not available at PAWS. The Veterinarian will decide what treatments or procedures are needed in coordination with other Managers as appropriate.
- Oversee the instruction of Animal Care Staff.
- Graduate of an accredited school of veterinary medicine or equivalent.
- Licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the state of Georgia.
- Ability to conduct high quality surgical sterilizations in a fast paced environment.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain DEA license
- Acquire and possess a thorough understanding of and dedication to the philosophies of animal welfare.