We're thrilled that you want to join our team! PAWS Atlanta is a 501c3 non-profit organization located in Decatur, Georgia. Our mission is to build a community of caring by people helping pets and pets helping people. Each year our shelter accepts almost 1,000 dogs and cats who need a home. Whether abandoned, abused, or simply surrendered for a multitude of reasons, they are cared for by a devoted staff and amazing volunteers as they await adoption.
PAWS Atlanta offers equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees 18 and older without regard to an individual’s race, color, creed, sex or age.
- Medical and Dental insurance
- Short and Long-term disability
- Paid Time Off
Veterinary Assistant - Full Time
- Assist the veterinarian with patient exams, vaccine administration, and surgery.
- Assist with, and perform, temperament testing and basic medical exams on any potential owner surrendered animals. In the absence of an onsite veterinarian, you will be responsible for offering recommendations regarding the intake of owner surrendered animals based on your medical and behavioral assessment.
- Accurately prepare and perform basic in-house laboratory tests including fecal parasite testing, skin scrapes, ear mite exam, urine specific gravity, DipQuick slide staining, blood PCV/TS, and glucose testing using a glucometer.
- Proficient in the ability to draw blood for testing and place IV catheters.
- Ensure all outside laboratory specimens are properly collected, stored, and shipped in the appropriate time frame for all necessary testing.
- Perform daily medical walk-through exams in ALL areas of the shelter. Discuss any noted concerns with the shelter veterinarian.
- Assist the shelter veterinarian with planning and execution of additional medical procedures needed by animals: mass removals, dental cleaning/extractions, biopsies, etc.
- Communicate directly with the Shelter Manager and front desk staff about any movement of animals from intake areas to the adoption floor or isolation.
- Minimum of two years working experience as a Veterinarian Assistant. Shelter and high-volume, high-quality veterinary and/or spay-neuter clinic experience are preferred.
- Ability to make difficult decisions and communicate clearly and effectively with fellow team members.
Please email your cover letter and resume to our Executive Director, Joe Labriola, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Animal Care Specialist - Full Time
Our Animal Care Specialists are responsible for the daily care of the animals and maintaining the standards of the environment in which the animals reside. All Animal Care Specialists must abide by the humane philosophy and values of PAWS Atlanta in terms of the treatment and care that we intentionally provide to all our animals.
- Exercise the animals, as needed
- Check on the overall health and wellbeing of the animals and report any concerns, as needed
- Prepare and clean indoor and outdoor dog areas
- Prepare and clean cat areas
- Disinfect according the shelter's protocols
- Feed the animals, as per their schedule and diet restrictions
- Offer excellent customer service to all PAWS Atlanta visitors
This position reports to the Shelter Manager and is full time/hourly with benefits and the applicant must be available to work Saturdays each week. If interested, please complete the employee application and send to our Shelter Manager, Laura McKelvey. No phone calls, please.