Peace of mind for the future
Possum was left at PAWS Atlanta’s gate in 2016 after his longtime owner passed away. He was 8 at that time, had a thyroid condition that affected his hair growth, and was missing many of his teeth causing his tongue to permanently (and adorably) stick out. Possum’s sweetness was epic and he quickly wiggled his tiny 12 pound body into our hearts! We addressed his skin issues and gave him the food, shelter, and care he needed to prepare him for his second chance. After four months in our care, he met his hero! A wonderful lady who thought he was just as charming as we did made him a permanent addition to her family. And he’s been loved and happy ever since.
In our 54-year history, PAWS Atlanta has taken in countless homeless cats and dogs like Possum who had nowhere else to go after their owners passed away. Many people don’t have a trusted, willing friend or relative to appoint as guardian for their pet, and worry about what will happen without a plan.
That’s why we created The PAWS Pet Legacy: to provide peace of mind about the future and ensure that your pet(s) will be lovingly cared for if they outlive you. Through enrollment, PAWS Atlanta will provide your pet(s) with exceptional veterinary care and attention while we work to place them in a loving new home.
How to Enroll in The PAWS Pet Legacy:
- Complete the enrollment forms for each pet and send them to Suzie Sloan. The information will help PAWS Atlanta provide your pet with the best possible home.
- Send the original forms to PAWS Atlanta and keep a copy with your will or trust. You may update these forms at any time, and enroll additional cats and dogs (up to a total of five) in the future.
- Designate a friend, relative, or the executor of your estate to act as an interim caretaker who can bring your pet to PAWS Atlanta.
- Provide a one-time gift of $2,500 per pet to PAWS Atlanta upon enrolling your pet or name PAWS Atlanta as a beneficiary in your will or trust (for a minimum of $2,500). Leaving a legacy gift ensures the future for all homeless animals. You do not need to disclose your estate plans, but confirm that you wish to become a part of PAWS Atlanta’s Kathy Scott Society.
- Provide an annual gift of $500 per pet. This is a meaningful gift that is renewable each year and supports our ability to provide food, medical care, and shelter for future program participants.
- Donations are given for the ongoing operational expenses of PAWS Atlanta and are not directed specifically to your pet(s).
For more information about The PAWS Pet Legacy, contact Suzie Sloan, Director of Development.